Based on Don Cheadle’s blockbuster, the TV drama 'Crash,' starring Ross McCall, is focused on dealing with racial issues in LA. As Starz's first original series, 'Crash' became an instant hit in its debut last fall and fans are anticipating the second season later this year. Ross McCall plays Kenny Battaglia, a cop who scours the streets of LA.
We talked with Ross McCall to discuss how trend spotting and innovation play key roles in his industry.
10 Questions with Ross McCall
1. How do you keep your work on the cutting edge?
I like that you think it IS on the cutting edge… I really don’t have the greatest answer for you. I just focus on any character I play and try and find them honestly and naturally, hoping that you believe in them as I do. I do, however, like to mix it up a little. I go from a crook to a political consultant, to an LA cop to a romantically-challenged guy as often as possible—or when I’m given the chance.
2. How do you reset yourself to become creative? Do you have any rituals?
A wise man once told me, the greatest thing you can do when you’re on set is sleep. Always feel rested. That’s my reset button. Grab 40 when you can. As far as rituals, I just do my homework.
3. What is an example of a time where you have thrown away an existing idea to force yourself to find something new?
In many aspects of life, I’ve maybe done this. From moving around the country, to relationships, to choices in work. I think it’s a great thing to find new things.
4. How did you get involved in acting and what motivates you to continue?
I started at a young age in theater in the UK. I loved it at first, then I went through a stage where I thought I could be everything from a firefighter to a ski instructor, but then I found my love for film. I don’t need much motivation, but if I were to narrow it down, being creative with people I admire and enjoy is a huge plus. I really am aware of how lucky I am that I get to work with amazing people and I am eternally grateful for that.
5. How do you define cool?
McQueen, Newman, old school. (the era, not the movie… Okay, maybe, the movie.)
6. What is the coolest aspect about your upcoming movie?
The fact that we show behind the curtain of LA’s many different colors. And that I get to chew it up with Dennis Hopper.
7. Professionally, what do you want to be doing in 10 years?
Producing, writing, starring. Not always at the same time though.
8. What are your favorite hobbies?
Football, reading, cinema. Nothing like a darkened movie theatre when those bulbs dim down and the screen lights up. And traveling is a must.
9. If you could work with anyone in the world, who would it be and what would you do?
Richard Branson. Let me be a fly on the wall.
10. Who is your favorite actor/actress of the moment, and what makes them cool to you?
Sean Penn/Rachel McAdams. For very different reasons. I’ll leave it at that.
Ross McCall, Star of TV Drama 'Crash' (INTERVIEW)
More Stats +/-
Chocolate-Covered Protein Wafers
Brutalist Lawn Gnomes
Costly Emerald Necklaces
Solar Panel-Equipped Phone Cases
Artisan-Inspired Boutique Hotels