Architecture practice Plasma studio, based in London, Beijing and Bolzano, has designed the Schäfer Roofscape in northern Italy.
The angular attic extension, which is part of a building restoration in the small town of Innichen, uses shards of glazing to frame the view of the surrounding mountains. The lower level of the building contains a department store, but the two upper storeys and attic now function as four apartments for the owner and his daughters.
The architects faced certain restrictions when it came to the front elevation, due to the building's delicate location. They explain, "The proposal has a dual face, which is the sheer reflection of local reticence to accept evolution and embrace a new vernacular that is better grounded in current, contemporary local conditions."
The Schäfer Roofscape Offers a Unique View
1. Angular Architecture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore new ways to incorporate angular designs in building structures, in both commercial and residential spaces.
2. Glazed Roofscapes - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop innovative glass solutions to frame scenic views and create unique roofscape designs for buildings.
3. Building Restoration - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Innovate and develop sustainable and cost-effective methods for restoring and repurposing existing buildings.
1. Architecture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate digital technologies and sustainable materials into architectural designs and construction processes.
2. Construction - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore advanced construction techniques and materials to enhance architectural possibilities and sustainability.
3. Glass Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop new types of glass and glass production methods to meet the demands of modern architecture and design.