Ben Heck has released a step by step guide to building your own retro handheld. This DS-inspired portable plays vintage Atari games.
Implications - The clever handheld gaming device features a slimmed down Atari 2600 motherboard that still functions. This means that you can play all your favorite games from way back in the day without needing to cart around an old and archaic Atari console that needs to be hooked up to a television. Who wouldn't want to play Asteroids on the bus or in class without anyone being the wiser? This retrofitted blast from the past is one seriously cool piece of custom hardware, and I think it goes without saying that I want one of my own.
DS-inspired Atari 2600 Portable
1. Retro Gaming Revival - The popularity of retro handheld gaming devices demonstrates a growing nostalgia for classic video games, presenting an opportunity for companies to develop modern versions of iconic gaming consoles.
2. Portable Gaming Innovation - The development of DS-inspired retro handhelds opens up possibilities for creating new portable gaming devices that cater to both vintage and modern game enthusiasts.
3. DIY Gaming - The release of step-by-step guides for building retro handhelds highlights the rising trend of DIY gaming, suggesting a potential market for DIY gaming kits and accessories.
1. Gaming Hardware - The retro handheld trend presents an opportunity for gaming hardware companies to produce and sell portable devices that offer a nostalgic gaming experience.
2. Gaming Software - The availability of retro handhelds prompts gaming software companies to re-release classic Atari games and develop new games inspired by the retro gaming era.
3. Educational Technology - The adoption of retro handhelds in the classroom creates a demand for educational software and gaming platforms that combine vintage gaming with educational content.