Ralph Lauren's F/W '09 collection is clearly for the birds. Avian influences reign throughout the line, from feathered flutter sleeves to plumed headwear and birdlike brooches.
My favorite look from Ralph Lauren's F/W '09 runway is the one-shouldered feathered flutter sleeve gown in the third image. What a breathtaking way to make an entrance at a cocktail party!
Implications - Fashion is oftentimes unfailingly cyclical, and the resurgence of feather-filled fashion is a great example of how staying one step ahead of the curve can enable a company to be on the forefront of a recurring trend. Ostensibly collections like this are about honing in on what has become popular again, but more important is the lesson of a company that knows what will become popular again before it's painfully apparent that is most valuable.
Avian Influences Are Aflutter for Ralph Lauren F/W ‘09
1. Avian-influenced Fashion - The resurgence of feathered fashion presents an opportunity for designers to incorporate bird-inspired elements into their collections.
2. Cyclical Fashion Trends - Staying ahead of cyclical fashion trends enables companies to be on the forefront of recurring trends before they gain widespread popularity.
3. Sustainable Fashion - Using sustainable materials to emulate the look and feel of feathered fashion can present a more environmentally conscious alternative.
1. Fashion and Apparel - Designers and fashion brands can incorporate avian-inspired elements into their collections.
2. Textile Industry - Innovations in sustainable textiles can present more environmentally conscious ways to emulate the look and feel of feathered fashion.
3. Luxury Goods - The use of high-quality, ethically sourced feathers and materials can create a niche market for luxury feathered fashion.