Bike couriers looking to make some extra cash will want to check out the Postmates app. This app is designed to help connect businesses with an immediate need for short-range shipping with bike couriers in between jobs.
The app is currently in use in San Francisco where 50 businesses have already begun using it. Postmates lets employers post a short description and picture of the item they want delivered using either the Postmates website or iPhone app. The job is then posted to the Postmates app where any courier can accept it. Once accepted, retailers can track the location of their courier up until the delivery. The app costs $15 per use and is estimated to bring the average bicycle courier an extra $27,000 in earnings per year.
The Postmates App Ensures Bicycle Couriers Always Have Work
1. Gig Economy Apps - Disruptive innovation opportunity for apps connecting workers with short-term job opportunities like the Postmates app.
2. On-demand Delivery Apps - Disruptive innovation opportunity for apps connecting businesses with immediate need for shipping with couriers like the Postmates app.
3. Crowdsourcing Delivery Apps - Disruptive innovation opportunity for apps utilizing pooled resources to offer efficient and low-cost delivery solutions like the Postmates app.
1. Courier and Delivery - Disruptive innovation opportunity for courier and delivery companies to adopt on-demand and crowd-sourcing models to stay competitive with new apps like Postmates.
2. Gig Economy - Disruptive innovation opportunity for gig economy platforms to integrate short-term jobs in delivery and courier services like the Postmates app.
3. Local Businesses - Disruptive innovation opportunity for local businesses to leverage on-demand and gig economy apps to offer efficient and affordable delivery solutions to customers like the Postmates app.