Sasha and Tara Bouis loved pizza and boats, and so decided to combine their passions to create a floating pizzeria dubbed Pizza Pi. The couple took an abandoned aluminum sailboat and customized it, building a kitchen by hand to accommodate commercial pizza ovens, refrigerators, bench space and storage, while also creating a pick-up window for local boats to swing by and grab their pizza while still out on the water.
The couple came up with the idea after working on private charter yachts in the Virgin Islands and realizing that a pizza boat could generate great business in secluded coves where there are no on-shore dining options. Their boat is located in Christmas Cove in the Virgin Islands.
Street food has become all the rage in recent years, and Pizza Pi now brings that concept to the water. Given the number of people who like to spend all day on the water, this idea makes a lot of sense indeed.
Pizza Pi is a Sailboat-Turned-Pizzeria in the Virgin Islands
1. Floating Food Trucks - Innovative food options on boats or watercrafts can bring a new spin to street food.
2. Secluded Dining - Unique dining experiences in remote areas on water can provide a disruptive niche market for food entrepreneurs.
3. Mobile Restaurants - Using creative and unique vehicles for food businesses can create a buzz, generating great business opportunities.
1. Food and Beverage - Innovative food experiences can be brought to the table through food trucks, boats and unique vehicles.
2. Hospitality and Tourism - Providing unique and remote dining experiences can disrupt the traditional hospitality and tourism sectors.
3. Marine and Boating - Transforming boats into dining experiences can open up new avenues for the marine and boating industry.