Analyzing the Instagram photos of urbanites, the Phototrails project identifies the visual signature of cities. The project uses software to analyze millions of photos from 13 cities in order to find the visual preferences of each metropolis. Since Instagram users can choose certain filters, the project looks at both filter type and frequency at certain times of the day.
The Phototrails project is the result of a collaboration between researchers at the University of Pittsburgh, CUNY's Graduate Center, and the California Institute for Telecommunication and Information. Through the project, the researchers were able to find unique patterns between cities by organizing the pictures in different ways.
In addition to looking at cities as an aggregate collection of photos, the team also analyzed Instagram photos at different times. The frequency of photos during different times of the day and during crises reveals how urbanites interact with the visual medium.
The Phototrails Project Maps Out the Instagram Signatures of Cities
1. Visual Signature of Cities - The Phototrails project identifies the unique visual preferences of each metropolis by analyzing Instagram photos.
2. Patterns Between Cities - The researchers organize Instagram pictures in different ways to find unique patterns and similarities between cities.
3. Interaction with Visual Medium - The frequency of Instagram photos during different times of the day and during crises reveals how urbanites interact with the visual medium.
1. Social Media - The analysis of Instagram photos and visual preferences of cities presents opportunities for social media platforms to enhance user experiences based on location-specific visual interests.
2. Tourism and Travel - Understanding the visual signature and patterns of cities through Instagram photos can help the tourism and travel industry in promoting specific locations and creating tailored experiences.
3. Data Analytics - The Phototrails project demonstrates the use of software and data analytics to analyze visual data from social media platforms, providing opportunities for advancements in data analytics tools and techniques for various industries.