Awesome Tumblr blogs are one of the best, minor benefits of living in the 21st Century, but few have captured my attention or love as deeply as the Peak Blackness Tumblr blog.
Created by a group of black bloggers and writers spanning diverse publications like Gawker, Grantland, The Chicago Tribune and the New York Times, Peak Blackness seeks to relive and celebrate special moments in history that feature several black cultural icons engaged in moments of merriment.
Looking through the photos on Peak Blackness, it's hard not to be gripped by a strong sense of nostalgia. The images feature the stars of yesteryear in their primes or their youth, life's mysteries, missteps and mayhem far in the distance. There is a contagious sense hope, joy and zest in each photograph, making clicking through the blog's several pages of shots irresistible.
My favorite image in the Peak Blackness Tumblr features Michael Jackson and Mr. T in a photobooth. Both men had larger than life public personas in the 80s, when the photo was taken, but they manage to showcase a natural levity enthralling and lovable.
Peak Blackness Tumblr Examines Epochs in African American Culture
1. Nostalgia-tinged Heritage Celebrations - Businesses can tap into the strong sense of nostalgia by creating modern-day celebrations that pay homage to the past.
2. Cultural Icon Appreciation - Companies can offer products or experiences that celebrate historical cultural icons to generate interest and conversation among consumers.
3. Revitalized Legacy Engagement - Modernizing the way people engage with past legacies by leveraging technology and social media can uncover new revenue streams for industry players.
1. Event Planning - Event planners can add a unique value proposition to their services by specializing in creating events inspired by nostalgic themes and cultural icons.
2. Tourism - Travel companies can design heritage tours or packages that allow travelers to relive iconic moments or visit landmarks associated with cultural icons.
3. Media and Entertainment - Movie studios or TV networks can create engaging content celebrating past cultural icons, which can attract larger audiences and potentially spawn new franchises.