Ford's new 'Overdubs' series of ads is targeted squarely at millennials. The ad series features anime characters that were standard entertainment for that generation, plying on millennials sense of nostalgia in order to get them interested in Ford vehicles.
As millennials begin settling into employment and earning enough to make larger purchases -- like cars -- companies are finding increasingly interesting ways to market to them. The Overdubs series is an example of that, with Ford tapping into the incredibly strong feelings that young people have for the cartoons of their childhoods.
The Overdubs series specifically advertises the Ford Focus, an entry level vehicle that would best suit people looking for their first car. The latest ad is a Sailor Moon spoof, and others include Dragon Ball Z and Metal Gear Solid.
Ford is Marketing with Sailor Moon as Part of Its 'Overdubs' Series
1. Nostalgic Anime Marketing - The use of nostalgic anime characters in advertising is a disruptive innovation opportunity that targets millennials' sense of nostalgia to capture their interest and drive sales.
2. Targeting Millennials - Companies finding unique ways to market to millennials is a disruptive innovation opportunity that taps into their strong emotional connection to the cartoons of their childhoods.
3. Anime-inspired Advertising - The rise of anime-inspired advertising is a disruptive innovation opportunity that leverages the popularity of anime among millennials to promote products and services.
1. Automotive Industry - The automotive industry has the opportunity to use nostalgic anime characters in their marketing strategies to target millennials and increase sales.
2. Anime and Entertainment Industry - The anime and entertainment industry can collaborate with businesses to create nostalgic anime-inspired ads that resonate with millennials, opening up new revenue streams.
3. Advertising and Marketing Industry - The advertising and marketing industry can capitalize on the trend of anime-inspired advertising by helping brands create unique and engaging campaigns that appeal to millennials.