We heard of the The Optimus Maximus keyboard ages ago, but because there were so few images, we hadn't entertained the thought that we might actually start seeing them adorn the rosewood desktops of real homes so soon.
The Optimus Maximus pictures in the gallery show a remarkable display of brilliantly lit, colorful icons, each of which operates as an OLED display to reveal its function (whatever you happened to have customized it to do.)
It can be used with any language, from Ancient Greek to Arabic to Japanese hiragana, and perform a range of calculations and complex operations, depending what you want your Optimus Maximus keyboard to do.
Back in 2006, we had said, "Due to be released and mass produced this summer 2006, (practically on our doorstep), the Optimus OLED Keyboard designed by Artemy Lebedev is expected to cost around $200, although prices will eventually drop down as demand increases for the new technology."
Guess we were wrong.
The Art Lebedev Optimus Maximus keyboard can now be bought, but for a staggering $1600.
The Optimus Maximus
1. OLED Keyboards - The technology in OLED displays can be used for other applications beyond keyboards, leading to opportunities for new products.
2. Customizable Input Devices - The ability to customize keys and displays on input devices can be applied to other devices like game controllers or touchpads.
3. Luxury Tech Products - There is a market for high-end tech products like the Optimus Maximus keyboard, leading to opportunities to create other luxury tech items.
1. Consumer Electronics - Companies in the consumer electronics industry can explore using OLED technology for a range of other products beyond displays for keyboards.
2. Gaming - Customizable inputs could be a major innovation opportunity for gaming controllers and other peripherals to create a customized experience for gamers.
3. Luxury Goods - The high price point of the Optimus Maximus shows that there is a market for luxury tech goods, leading to opportunities for luxury brands to create expensive but high-tech products.