OnTrak Community Initiative was recently the subject of a Guardian Social Enterprise Network article published this past week on July 10, 2013. Adrian Woods, the operations director at the project, wrote the piece on how social enterprise has worked successfully for their business model that allows young people to work in a hands-on way in a garage in order to learn skills -- typically students who have high absentee rates at "traditional" school and school programs. In 2008, Woods won a MBE, which is a British honor, for his work.
The students at OnTrak Community Initiative, which range from 13 to 16 years of age, participate in a range of learning programs including maintenance checks, electronics, etc.
OnTrak Community Initiative on Trust My Garage
'OnTrak Community Initiative' is Hands-On for Students
1. Hands-on Learning - The trend of hands-on learning programs like OnTrak Community Initiative for students with high absentee rates provides opportunities for developing new technologies/tools for more effective and engaging teaching methods.
2. Social Enterprise - The trend of social enterprises like OnTrak Community Initiative that offer both a social and economic benefit, creates opportunities for more businesses to build a sense of community while generating profit.
3. Youth Empowerment - The trend of programs like OnTrak Community Initiative that aim to empower and support young people from marginalized backgrounds presents opportunities for innovation in mentoring, coaching, and leadership development within organizations.
1. Education - Programs like OnTrak Community Initiative present opportunities for the education industry to explore and invest in alternative educational models that better support marginalized and at-risk students.
2. Automotive - OnTrak Community Initiative's use of garages as learning spaces for students presents opportunities for innovation in automotive technology and training for the next generation of mechanics and engineers.
3. Community Development - The trend of social enterprises like OnTrak Community Initiative that prioritize community development presents opportunities for innovation in building inclusive and sustainable local economies.