The Reebok Future team recently unveiled its first product from its 'Cotton + Corn' sustainability initiative, and it is the NPC UK Cotton sneakers. Last year, the sportswear label announced the initiative to develop footwear with materials that grow -- this includes synthetic rubber and petroleum. The new NPC UK Cotton shoes are constructed from 100% cotton across the uppers, castor bean oil and completely recycled packing make up its insoles, and it all sits on top of a corn-based sole.
Notably, the NPC UK Cotton + Corn shoe is the only footwear currently on the market that is certified to have 75% USDA certified biobased materials derived from field corn. The sustainable sneakers are made in partnership with DuPont Tate & Lyle Bio Products.
The Reebok Future Team Launches the NPC UK Cotton Sneakers
1. Sustainable Footwear - Developing sneakers with materials that are environmentally friendly and sustainable presents an opportunity for disruptive innovation in the footwear industry.
2. Biomaterials - The use of biomaterials derived from field corn and castor bean oil in sneakers opens up possibilities for disruptive innovation in the materials industry.
3. Circular Economy - Creating sneakers with recycled packaging and a corn-based sole aligns with the principles of a circular economy, offering potential for disruptive innovation in the sustainability sector.
1. Footwear - The development of sustainable sneakers presents a disruptive innovation opportunity within the footwear industry.
2. Materials - The use of biomaterials in sneakers creates an opportunity for disruptive innovation within the materials industry.
3. Sustainability - The incorporation of recycled packaging and a corn-based sole in sneakers provides a disruptive innovation opportunity in the sustainability industry.