New York taxi cabs are getting a makeover and it seems Nissan’s design came out on top of its competition. The Nissan cab design (which is based on their line of NV200 minivans) recently won the New York City taxi bid to become NYC’s sole supplier of people haulers for the next ten years. Nissan is expected to produce over 13,200 of these new vehicles in a deal with the Taxi and Limousine Commission.
Nissan’s cab design is notable for its durability and interior specs, beating out other finalists Ford and Turkish car company Karsan. The Nissan vehicles are expected to debut in 2013 and will slowly be integrated into the Taxi and Limousine Commission’s fleet of taxi cabs before replacing all currently existing taxi vehicles. Those nostalgic over the current New York taxi cab should get in as many rides as possible before it’s too late!
Nissan to Become the New Supplier for New York City Cabs
1. City Fleet Modernization - Opportunities for vehicle manufacturers to design bespoke vehicles for modernizing urban taxi fleets.
2. Competitive Bidding Process - Incorporating factors beyond the bottom line, influencing innovation strategies utilized throughout the procurement process.
3. Lean and Sustainable Design - Designing durable, efficient and comfortable taxi vehicles with the integration of new technologies.
1. Automotive - Modernizing urban taxi fleet systems and meeting transportation needs through designing and manufacturing the next generation of taxi cabs.
2. Transportation - Incorporating sustainability, comfort, and quality into modern transportation systems through innovative procurement processes and taxi vehicle designs.
3. Technology - Opportunities to utilize new technologies in the manufacturing, design and procurement of vehicles to meet the modernization needs of urban mobility and transportation systems.