'New Stand' is a retail shop located in the Union Square subway station in New York City. The space was once a newsstand that sold chocolate bars, chips and juices for the last 30 years. Today however, it has been transformed into a bright and vibrant retail location that targets modern commuters -- mainly millennials.
New Stand is stocked with snacks, on-the-go toiletries like charcoal toothbrushes and all-natural condoms. Gadgets like Closca collapsable helmets and instant Instax cameras are also available. The shop sells a mix of useful, yet unique products aimed to satisfy both the modern commuter's needs and curiosities.
The New Stand also has an accompanying app that can be used underground, with or without Wi-Fi. In replacing traditional newspaper and magazine displays, the app will provide short headlines, news stories, playlists and viral videos. Users will also be able to tailor the news content they read -- essentially adapting traditional newsstands to the digital age.
New York City Retailer 'New Stand' is Located in a Subway Station
1. Subway Retail Shops - Creating unique retail spaces within subway stations to target modern commuters.
2. Targeting Millennials - Curating products that meet the needs and curiosities of the younger generation.
3. Digital Newsstands - Using mobile apps to offer tailored news, playlists and viral videos underground without Wi-Fi.
1. Retail Industry - Opportunity to create innovative retail spaces to attract and retain customers.
2. Consumer Goods Industry - Opportunity to curate and market products that meet the needs and interests of the younger generation.
3. Media Industry - Opportunity to create mobile apps that offer tailored news and entertainment content to commuters on-the-go.