Paragon Space Development Corporation and Odyssey Moon have joined forces to create new moon garden technology that will allow plants from Earth to be grown in space.
The team is specifically working on what is essentially a spacesuit for plantsâ€”a miniature pressurized greenhouse that can protect the plants from the sun's harsh rays, remove excess oxygen, provide water, and keep the soil balanced. This new moon garden poses a bright possibility for sustainability of life on another planet.
Implications - The Lunar Oasis Lander is being developed in competition for a prize of $30 million to the first independent company who can land their craft on the moon by 2012. Not only must the spacecraft land safely, but the company is required to send live video of the journey back to Earth.
New Moon Gardening Technology Expands Arable Horizons
1. New Moon Garden Technology - Developing miniature pressurized greenhouses for plants to be grown in space.
2. Sustainability of Life on Another Planet - Exploring the potential for sustaining life on other planets through lunar gardening.
3. Lunar Oasis Lander - Creating the spacecraft competition with a $30 million prize for the first independent company that can land on the moon by 2012.
1. Space Technology - Developing new moon garden technology and lunar gardening techniques.
2. Aerospace - Creating spacecraft capable of landing on the moon and sending live video back to Earth.
3. Agriculture - Exploring sustainable methods for growing plants in space and on other planets.