The Neue Nationalgalerie, a modern art museum in Berlin originally designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, got a tasteful reimagining by David Chipperfield Architects. The gallery features wall-to-wall windows that encapsulate the entire building, allowing passersby to peer inside. The Neue Nationalgalerie plays host to high grid-marked ceilings and wide, open-concept spaces, suitable for a variety of visual showcases.
The recent redesign of the Neue Nationalgalerie repaired and replaced much of the building's internal structure, including the canopy's steel frame. Upgrading the functionality of the gallery, the David Chipperfield Architects added a classy underground storage space clad in wraparound wood paneling that perfectly complements the white-gray concrete. To increase accessibility, a ramp was also added to the gallery's main entrance. The Neue Nationalgalerie is slated to reopen in August 2021.
Image Credit: Dezeen
The Neue Nationalgalerie Underwent an Unobtrusive Refurbishing
1. Modern Art Museum Redesigns - Opportunity to reimagine and redesign modern art museums to improve functionality and accessibility while preserving the original architecture and aesthetic.
2. Wall-to-wall Windows in Architecture - Incorporating wall-to-wall windows in building design to create a visually stunning effect and allow passersby to see inside.
3. Underground Storage Space - Incorporating underground storage spaces in building design to preserve and protect valuable artwork while maintaining a minimalist aesthetic above ground.
1. Architecture - Architecture firms can take inspiration from David Chipperfield Architects' redesign of the Neue Nationalgalerie to create functional and beautiful spaces that draw in visitors.
2. Museums and Galleries - Museums and galleries can take inspiration from the Neue Nationalgalerie's redesign to improve their own spaces and make art more accessible to the public.
3. Art Preservation - Companies specializing in art preservation can take advantage of the trend in underground storage spaces to offer innovative solutions for protecting valuable artwork.