There might not seem like anything witchy about the Minju Kim Be Cover collection at first glance, but it was inspired by the green witch Elphaba from “Wicked: The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz” musical. Putting a chic modern spin on the character's style, the looks are comprised of feminine layers that are quite structured in silhouette.
The last line before the young designer graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp, Belgium, the Minju Kim Be Cover collection gives the green witch "a new exterior to match the way she saw her braveness and kindness, leaving aside the prejudice that followed her," as noted by Trendland. Essentially, the collection imbues the happy ending to a fairy tale, one that may inspire other designers.
The Minju Kim Be Cover Collection Takes Cues from 'The Wizard of Oz'
1. Witch-inspired Fashion - Expanding the fashion industry's inspirations to include other-worldly characters can create new and exciting designs.
2. Feminine Structures - Experimenting with structured silhouettes for feminine wear can create unique and edgy fashion trends.
3. Chic Modernization - Updating characters and their style from classic literature or pop culture can inspire new fashion collections.
1. Fashion - Expanding fashion inspirations to include literature and pop culture can lead to innovative and marketable designs.
2. Theatre and Musical Productions - Fashion designers can collaborate with theatre and musical productions as inspiration for new collections and create cross-industry partnerships.
3. Art and Design Education - Collaborating with art and design institutions to showcase young emerging designers can give rise to fresh and innovative fashion trends.