The idea of marathon marriages might sound out of this world, but David Upton and Molly Johnston did just that during the Chevron Houston Marathon on January 29th, 2011.
Pausing midway through the race for a quick ceremony in front of family and friends, the two newly weds turned their love of each-other and running into a unique on-the-go wedding. In doing so, their nuptials served as one of the first marathon marriages ever recorded.
Implications - This unique (and patently ridiculous) idea can be attributed to Johnston's sister, "My sister had the crazy idea because we run so much," Molly said. "We just decided 'Why not?'"
Why not indeed. Here's hoping that Upton and Johnston's marriage sustains a long run.
David Upton and Molly Johnston Marry Tie the Knot While On the Run
1. Marathon Weddings - The trend of getting married during a marathon experience can be capitalized by event planners who may offer unique running-wedding packages.
2. Active-lifestyle Events - The trend of including an active lifestyle as part of a life event leads to disruptive innovation opportunities in brand collaborations that promote healthy lifestyle choices
3. Public Shows of Romance - The trend of tastefully displaying public shows of romance is an opportunity for offline and online businesses, such as social media channels, to provide platforms for individuals to express their love.
1. Event Planning - The trend for unique marathon weddings can create opportunities for specialized event planners who market select and unconventional wedding services.
2. Sportswear and Fitness - The trend for active-lifestyle events can promote opportunities for sportswear brands and other fitness-related businesses that leverage active-lifestyle events as marketing platforms.
3. Social Media - The trend for public shows of romance can create opportunities for online businesses that market themselves as platforms for couples wanting to show-off their love for each other.