The vast majority of architectural projects have strived for a stability that would stand the test of time. However, not Magmatic Contingencies, in which inevitable deterioration is central to its conception.
Mengna Miao and Carson Russell envision this sci-fi scenario in which robots would occupy a volcanically active glacier in Iceland. Their structure that struggles in between the two great and starkly opposing forces would be ever at risk of crumbling and dissolving on contact with the lapping lava around it.
The result is an ever-changing entity that exists as a complex lattice of solid segments and perforations, broken down by the environmental turmoil of the interaction of fire and ice. Magmatic Contingencies could be a network of cave-like voids with scattered openings to the shrouded sky.
Magmatic Contingencies Braces on the Brink of Disintegration
1. Volatile Architectural Environments - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop adaptive and resilient architectural materials and designs that can withstand and thrive in constantly changing and deteriorating environments.
2. Robotic Occupation in Extreme Landscapes - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore the use of robots and automation in extreme environments, such as volcanically active glaciers, for tasks that are dangerous or difficult for humans.
3. Environmental Turmoil as Design Inspiration - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Utilize the interaction of opposing and volatile natural forces, like fire and ice, as a catalyst for innovative and dynamic architectural design solutions.
1. Architecture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Rethink traditional architectural practices and materials to create structures that can adapt and thrive in volatile and deteriorating environments.
2. Robotics - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop robots and automation technologies specifically designed for extreme environments, such as volcanically active glaciers, to perform tasks that are hazardous or inaccessible to humans.
3. Environmental Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Apply environmental dynamics and interactions, like those between fire and ice, as inspiration for creating unique and transformative design concepts.