The London charity New Horizon Youth Centre has started its own guerrilla-style shelter by offering free bus tickets to homeless youth, giving them a safe place to sleep at night. The charity even provides them with recommended bus routes to ensure they have an accommodation all night.
At its homeless shelter, the London charity offers the participants a breakfast and shower the following morning. New Horizon Youth Centre also offers legal advice and specifically targets youth, aged 16 to 24. This ingenious solution attempts to address the growing number of homeless youth in London which has doubled since 2010.
The number of vulnerable youth continues to rise because of skyrocketing rent prices and lack of shelter or hostel space. The charity is attempting to appeal to policy makers, but little has been done to aid in the crisis.
This London Charity Gives Out Tickets For Homeless Youth to Sleep on Transit
1. Guerrilla-style Shelters - Other charities and non-profits can take inspiration from New Horizon Youth Centre's guerrilla-style shelter approach to provide a safe place for the homeless.
2. Targeted Legal Aid - Providing legal aid specifically targeted to the needs of young homeless people is a trend that can be taken up by legal firms and other pro-bono organizations.
3. Sustainable Transportation Solutions for the Homeless - The use of public transportation as a makeshift shelter for the homeless can inspire innovative solutions for sustainable and safe public transportation that can accommodate homeless people's needs.
1. Charity and Non-profit - Charities and non-profits can take inspiration from New Horizon Youth Centre to provide alternative solutions for homeless people.
2. Legal Services - Legal services can explore providing targeted legal aid for homeless youth and inspire change in policies to address the issue.
3. Transportation - The transportation industry can explore innovative ways to accommodate homeless people's needs while using public transportation.