Disney has embraced another culturally diverse group in the form of a brand new Latina Disney Princess. Known as Princess Elena of Avalor, this Latina Disney Princess is making her debut in on a show called 'Sofia the First,' to be aired on the Disney Junior channel in 2016.
While talking with TIME about the Latina Disney Princess, the Disney channel geared towards the preteens and children said that Elena happens to be “a confident and compassionate teenager in an enchanted fairy tale kingdom inspired by diverse Latin cultures and folklore.”
Rumor has it that Elena, the Latina Disney Princess, might even get a show with her in the lead role after her debut performance.
Elena will have a similar plot structure as that Snow White.
Princess Elena of Avalor is Disney's Newest Character
1. Culturally Diverse Characters - There is a growing trend towards the inclusion of ethnically diverse characters in mainstream media.
2. Latino Representation in Media - With the emergence of Princess Elena of Avalor, there is a rising trend towards increased representation of Latino culture in media.
3. Empowered Female Characters - The new Latina Disney Princess has sparked a trend towards the creation of empowered female characters in children's media.
1. Entertainment - The entertainment industry has an opportunity to tap into underrepresented markets by creating diverse and empowering characters such as Princess Elena of Avalor.
2. Consumer Products - There is potential for the consumer products industry to expand their market by incorporating representation of diverse cultures into their products, inspired by Princess Elena of Avalor.
3. Education and Children's Media - The education and children's media industries have an opportunity to promote cultural awareness and acceptance by featuring more diverse and representative characters in their content, such as Princess Elena of Avalor.