KaDaWe, one of the oldest department stores in Berlin and indeed the world, recently opened up a new wing designed by French architect India Mahdavi. The new section of the store was inspired by the Bauhaus movement, and it features different tones of Santa Margherita, a composite stone material made from quartz sand and resin.
KaDaWe, which is short for Kaufhaus des Westens, has been in operation in Berlin since 1907. Not many years after that, the Bauhaus school of architecture and design (which also stemmed from Germany) began to make its mark on the world, so Mahdavi's choice is all the more fitting. Bauhaus is known for its insistence on combining the work of artists with craftsmen, and the aesthetically intricate lines and patterns that make up KaDaWe are indeed just as artistic as they are practical.