The porn industry is a thriving one and although the story lines are often very familiar, it appears through the recent work of Jo Broughton, a photographer based in the United Kingdom, that the spaces they're filled in are endlessly creative. Dubbed Empty Porn Sets, the photo series looks innocent enough until you notice the dildo on the wardrobe in one still, the panties on the floor in another and a bottle of lube carefully tucked away almost out of sight.
Jo Broughton was inspired by her own interesting story when deciding to create this series. A younger Jo Broughton had applied to be a photographer's assistant and ended up working at a porn studio. She shares, "At times I struggled with what went on in the space, about the objectification of women...I hid my association with the porn industry like a guilty secret but without it I may not have been able to realise my ambitions."
Jo Broughton Captures Unlikely Spaces for His Audience
1. Creative Porn Set Design - There is an opportunity for innovative designers to work with the porn industry to develop unique and aesthetically pleasing sets.
2. De-objectification of Women in Porn - The porn industry can explore ways to incorporate feminist ideologies and reduce the objectification of women in their productions.
3. Exploration of Sexuality in Art - There is potential for artists to create thought-provoking pieces that challenge societal norms surrounding sexuality and pornography.
1. Pornography - The porn industry can benefit from partnering with interior designers to enhance their set design and create a unique viewing experience.
2. Feminist Advocacy - Feminist organizations can work with the porn industry to promote alternative, female-friendly productions that emphasize consent and respect in sexual acts.
3. Art - Art galleries can showcase pieces that explore sexuality and pornography in a way that encourages open discourse and understanding.