Increasingly, the male fashion industry is offering fun opportunities for bold, style-conscious men to express their personalities. Thanks to flamboyant designs like Jean Paul Gaultier, whose recent menswear collection can be seen in the gallery, there is an abundance of edgier wardrobe choices for men.
A recurring theme in the collection was bee or wasp-like stripes, sometimes showing up in ways in which they look as though they may have been inspired by a piano keyboard. A second theme was that of old Western movies, from tailored vests and pocket watch chains to cowboy hats and bandito bandannas around necks.
At one point in the show, it looked as though one of Gaultier's models couldn't get suited up in time, either that, or he was too sweaty to wiggle into his leather pants. The cowboy hat wearing model appeared on the catwalk wearing nothing below the waist but tiny, black, zippered briefs... even his feet were bare.
Some notable pieces from Gaultier's show included
While some of JPG's works are a bit too out there, examine his Spring 2009 catwalk is a good place to turn for inspiration. As happens each season, fast fashion retailers like H&M are quick to copy some of the key looks and build off the themes seen on designer runways.
Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2009 Menswear
1. Edgy Male Fashion Choices - Increasing opportunities for style-conscious men to express themselves through bold, flamboyant designs like Jean Paul Gaultier's recent menswear collection.
2. Bee/wasp Stripes - The recurring motif of bee or wasp-like stripes seen in Jean Paul Gaultier's Spring 2009 collection offers potential for innovative textile design.
3. Western Movie Inspiration - The old Western movie themes seen in Jean Paul Gaultier's Spring 2009 collection offer opportunities for playful yet stylish designs.
1. Fashion Retail - Fast fashion retailers like H&M are able to copy and build off the themes seen on designer runways.
2. Textile Design - The bee or wasp-like stripes seen in Jean Paul Gaultier's Spring 2009 collection offer potential for innovative textile design.
3. Event Production - The playful and bold themes seen in Jean Paul Gaultier's Spring 2009 collection offer inspiration for creative event production.