The iPhone self-portrait is a fairly recent, turn of the century phenomenon. While some commentators argue that the iPhone generation is growing up to be one of the most narcissistic ones by far, I happen to think that this generation merely has the means and the technology to express the narcissism most youngsters actually feel.
César Moreno is a Mexico-based artist that has taken up this instant self-portrait phenomenon as his subject. He illustrates intensely hued female figures taking selfies, but instead of taking photographs he uses wood surfaces as his canvas. The artist’s style of drawing and choice of canvas creates an interesting composition. While this work may hit too close to home for some, it is certainly fascinating for others.
César Moreno Showcases an iPhone Self-Portrait Using
1. Narcissistic Illustration Art - The trend of depicting self-portraits or photos through art offers opportunities for artists and galleries targeting younger audiences interested in self-expression.
2. Instant Self-portrait Technology - Advancements in technology have allowed for instant photo-taking and sharing, which offers opportunities for mobile app, camera and photography equipment companies to disrupt traditional photography methods and appeal to a younger generation.
3. Personal Expression Through Technology - The growing desire for personal expression and validation through technology offers opportunities for companies to tap into this market, especially in social media and personal branding industries.
1. Art - Opportunities for galleries and artists to provide new and innovative ways to depict self-portraits, capitalizing on contemporary interests in self-expression and technology.
2. Mobile Technology - Opportunities for mobile app, camera and photography equipment companies to target younger audiences interested in instant self-portrait taking and sharing.
3. Social Media - Opportunities for companies specializing in social media to offer platforms for personal expression and validation through instant self-portrait sharing and personal branding.