The most fascinating technologies are able to merge the virtual and physical worlds in remarkably enlightening ways. This iPad saucer may not strictly fall within this category but its humorous attempt to reference this relationship makes it utterly enthralling.
Norah Abdulaziz took these photographs of a pair of hands holding a tablet with a cup of tea on top. The screen of the iPad quite simply features a digital image of a white porcelain plate, just about the perfect size to mirror the length and width of a real three dimensional saucer.
A matching ceramic mug sitting in the center of the cyber dish makes the iPad saucer a compelling image. It encourages a simultaneously serious and silly dialogue about our complex artificial environment and the way that past traditions and contemporary obsessions can be carried out concurrently.
This iPad Saucer Lets You Ponder the Physical and Virtual Worlds Over Tea
1. Virtual-physical Merging - Creating new devices that integrate the virtual and physical worlds in creative ways, like the iPad saucer, can lead to disruptive innovation opportunities in the tech industry.
2. Humorous Referencing - Incorporating a sense of humor into new product designs can help capture consumers' attention and create unique experiences in the retail industry.
3. Conceptual Dialogue - Developing products and technologies that encourage thoughtful conversations about the relationship between tradition and modern society can lead to disruptive innovation in society and culture.
1. Tech Industry - New innovations that merge virtual and physical worlds like the iPad saucer could disrupt the tech industry and lead to new business opportunities.
2. Retail Industry - Incorporating humor into product designs can lead to disruptive innovation in the retail industry by capturing consumers' attention and providing unique experiences.
3. Culture and Society - Developing products that encourage conceptual dialogue about tradition and modern society can disrupt cultural norms and lead to new social innovations.