Researchers from MIT's CSAIL Lab have invented a new algorithm called 'Interactive Dynamic Video' that allows users -- or virtual characters -- to manipulate video environments without actually moving any objects in the real world. The technology could solve one of the most crucial flaws in the augmented reality industry: the fact that, no matter how realistic the character, they could only ever interact with flat, still spaces.
Interactive Dynamic Video is powered by a predictive algorithm. In its current iteration, users need to take a short video of the environment they wish to manipulate, and the algorithm registers tiny vibrations in the objects around. It then extrapolates these vibrations to understand how the objects would move if more force were applied. The result is video environments that users or characters can virtually move through the Interactive Dynamic Video system.
To put it in truly world-shaking terms, the MIT system could eventually be used to let AR Pokemon Go characters rustle bushes or ripple water on users' phone screens.
'Interactive Dynamic Video' Lets Virtual Characters Move Real Objects
1. Dynamic Video Environments - The invention of 'Interactive Dynamic Video' algorithm opens up opportunities for creating dynamic and interactive video environments using augmented reality.
2. Realistic Virtual Interactions - The technology enables virtual characters to interact with video environments in a realistic and immersive manner, overcoming a major limitation in the augmented reality industry.
3. Augmented Reality Gaming - The potential integration of Interactive Dynamic Video technology in AR gaming, like Pokemon Go, could enhance the user experience by allowing virtual characters to interact with real-world objects on users' screens.
1. Augmented Reality - The emergence of Interactive Dynamic Video technology presents disruptive innovation opportunities in the field of augmented reality, enabling more realistic and interactive experiences.
2. Video Production - The ability to manipulate video environments using Interactive Dynamic Video algorithm opens up new possibilities for video production, offering enhanced visual effects and interactive storytelling.
3. Gaming - The integration of Interactive Dynamic Video in AR gaming industry can revolutionize gameplay mechanics and bring more immersive and realistic experiences to players.