According to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academics, medication errors are the most common medical errors causing harm to at least 1.5 million people annually. Costs of these errors conservatively amounts to $3.5 billion a year.
The new Intellifill IV from ForHealth Technologies takes direct aim at the most common medical errors with its robotic drug dosage filling system.
The American Hospital Association lists the following as some common types of medication errors:
-incomplete patient information (not knowing about patients’ allergies, other medicines they are taking, previous diagnoses, and lab results, for example);
-unavailable drug information (such as lack of up-to-date warnings);
-miscommunication of drug orders, which can involve poor handwriting, confusion between drugs with
-similar names, misuse of zeroes and decimal points, confusion of metric and other dosing units, and inappropriate abbreviations;
-lack of appropriate labeling as a drug is prepared and repackaged into smaller units; and
-environmental factors, such as lighting, heat, noise, and interruptions, that can distract health professionals from their medical tasks.
Alison Apple, the pharmacy administrator at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee says, “The IntelliFill i.v. robotic technology is simply amazing and ensures medication safety through the use of barcodes.”
What’s even more amazing is that the Intellifill IV is a combination of time tested technologies combined in a unique and visionary way.
Now, that’s Innovation!
'Intellifill IV' Uses Barcodes
1. Robotic Prescription Filling - The use of robotic technology can revolutionize the prescription-filling process, improving medication safety and reducing costs.
2. Barcoding Technology - The utilization of barcoding technology can reduce common medication errors like incomplete information and misunderstandings about medication dosage and strength.
3. Automated Drug Dispensing - Automated drug dispensing can reduce the potential of human error, eliminate the need for manual labor, and improve efficiency in healthcare settings.
1. Healthcare Industry - The healthcare industry stands to benefit immensely from innovation in robotic technology, barcoding, and automated drug dispensing to reduce medication errors and improve patient outcomes.
2. Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Industry - The pharmaceutical manufacturing industry can also benefit from the implementation of robotic technology and barcoding, especially in the production of drugs and medications, reducing human error and increasing efficiency.
3. Robotics Industry - The use of robotic technology, especially in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries, presents an immense opportunity for the robotics industry to expand and innovate even further in the field of automation and AI.