There are definitely benefits to the boring-looking switch plates you find around most houses, namely to do with intuitive interaction. Inga Sempe's switches don't have that sense of familiarity about them that makes flicking on the lights so simple; however, her designs don't seem like they would throw anyone for a loop.
The collection for Legrand consists of three different styles of light switches and two sorts of wall sockets. To control illumination, Inga Sempe's switches comprise a system of simple rotatable dials and slender vertical strips of long and narrow toggles. They would be nearly unnoticeable if mounted in strategic places. For the designer's plugs, the telephone jack is incorporated into a switch plate and the others are installed with textural backings and power points that press in to reduce protrusion.
Inga Sempe's Switches Reinvent Aesthetics and User Interaction
1. Smart Switch Design - There is a trend in creating switches with intuitive and sleek designs to replace traditional switches.
2. Innovative Wall Sockets - There is a trend in incorporating phone jacks into switch plates and using textural backings for power points to reduce protrusion of wall sockets.
3. Minimalistic Home Decor - There is a trend in designing home decor that is nearly unnoticeable, such as Inga Sempe's simple rotatable dial and slender vertical strips of long and narrow toggles.
1. Home Automation - There is a disruptive innovation opportunity in creating switches and wall plates to fit in smart homes.
2. Interior Design - There is a disruptive innovation opportunity in incorporating minimalistic designs into home decor.
3. Electrical Appliances - There is a disruptive innovation opportunity in creating switches and power points with textural backings, like those in Inga Sempe's design.