Popular Scandinavian-inspired furniture store IKEA recently updated its Wembley store's aesthetic by adding quotations around its brand name. The unique branding update was done to kick-off the company's recent collaboration with Virgil Abloh for a homeware collection titled "MARKEREAD" -- notably also featuring the same punctuation. Additionally, the series features two items that also make use of the quotation -- the “SCULPTURE” bag and the “WET GRASS” rug.
The updated “IKEA” logo was only featured during the launch weekend to generate buzz and excitement from consumers about the latest launch. This, however, is not the first time IKEA has updated its typography to align itself with brands. The company recently changed its Verdana typeface to Noto to be more accommodating to various languages.
Image Credit: IKEA UK, AD Week
IKEA's Wembley Location in London Temporarily Added Quotes
1. Brand Typography Updates - IKEA's temporary addition of quotations to its brand name highlights a trend of companies experimenting with typography to create unique brand experiences.
2. Collaborative Homeware Collections - IKEA's collaboration with Virgil Abloh for the 'MARKEREAD' collection showcases a trend of brands collaborating with designers to create exclusive and stylish homeware offerings.
3. Temporary Branding Installations - IKEA's use of the updated logo for the launch weekend demonstrates a trend of brands using temporary installations to create excitement and generate consumer interest.
1. Furniture Retail - The furniture retail industry can explore disruptive innovation opportunities by experimenting with typography and branding elements to create unique and memorable shopping experiences.
2. Fashion and Home Decor Design - The fashion and home decor design industry can capitalize on the trend of collaborative collections by partnering with popular brands to create exclusive and highly coveted homeware items.
3. Event Marketing and Branding - The event marketing and branding industry can leverage the trend of temporary branding installations to create captivating and buzzworthy experiences for product launches and brand activations.