'House in Melgaco' combines minimalist modernity with the firm permanence of old stone buildings. Nuno Brandao Costa, a Portuguese architect, built the home into the decaying facade of a rural farmhouse that stood in the distant, largely unpopulated outskirts of Melgaco in northern Portugal.
House in Melgaco is home to a very large family of 11. The amount of people living there coupled with the relatively small design of the original farmhouse posed a challenge for the architect. As a solution, Nuno Brandao Coast chose to use the original stone as part of House in Melgaco, but extended the living space downward through the use of several basement levels. However, since the house is built on a hill, those lower levels still let light in through windows that emerge from the hillside.
'House in Melgaco' is a Modernist Abode Built in the Ruins of a Farm
1. Refurbished Rubble Houses - Re-purposing old farmhouses and rural buildings for modern minimalistic housing can provide creative and cost-effective solutions for individuals and families.
2. Basement-level Living - Extending living space downwards through the use of basement levels, while retaining the original stone facade, is an innovative way to create larger living spaces within small or limited housing areas.
3. Combining Modernity with Tradition - Innovative architects and designers can creatively combine sleek modern elements with traditional stone facades to create unique living spaces that harmoniously blend new and old styles.
1. Architecture - Revamping old structures using modern layout and design techniques provides an opportunity for architects and designers to implement new housing solutions.
2. Real Estate Development - Real estate developers can tap into a market for cost-effective housing solutions using old farmhouses and other rural structures in need of refurbishment and modernization.
3. Construction - Constructing livable spaces within the confines of small or limited housing areas can give construction companies an opportunity to experiment with innovative building techniques and creative design solutions.