Whether the end use is as a low-impact home or temporary shelter after a disaster, Green Horizon has designed a self-sustaining home for a family of four that is built from recycled or recyclable materials, and can be shipped anywhere in the world stacked in a standard shipping container then transported using a pickup truck and a trailer hitch.
Each two bedroom unit has built-in furniture, a bathroom and a kitchen area. It can be set up by unskilled people in less than two hours. The units are capable of being a self-sufficient shelter in the aftermath of a disaster even if infrastructure providing electricity and water are out of commission. Solar panels and batteries, a bio-diesel generator backup, and water purification equipment are all part of the package. Units can be interconnected to share power and water as well.
Portable Shelter for Environmentally Conscientious Disaster Relief
1. Eco-friendly Housing - Opportunity for companies to develop sustainable housing solutions using recycled or recyclable materials.
2. Self-sustaining Shelter - Potential for innovation in creating temporary shelters that can operate independently from infrastructure.
3. Portable Homes - Emerging market for easily transportable homes that can be set up quickly by unskilled individuals.
1. Construction - Disruptive innovation opportunities in designing and constructing environmentally conscious homes and shelters.
2. Renewable Energy - Opportunity for renewable energy companies to provide solar panels and batteries for self-sufficient housing units.
3. Logistics - Potential for innovation in logistics and transportation to efficiently deliver portable homes using standard shipping containers.