Gin is perhaps one of the most popular spirits in the world but Hoatling & Co is hoping to bring Genevieve into the public eye with its two generver-style gins. Genevieve, or generver gins, are considered to the be a precursor to modern gins and utilize the same botanicals but are distilled in a much more crude fashion, as they are made of a grain mash and are pot-distilled. This process leads to a stronger flavor profile that blurs the line between gin and white whiskey.
The two expressions offered by Hoatling & Co play off traditional genever-style gins but infuse a bit more of a modern technique to make the drinks more palatable. The two expressions offered are the Genevieve Original Genever-Style Gin and the Genevieve Barrel Finished Genever-Style Gin. The first is fairly simple in flavor and features herbaceous juniper notes but also finds a uniquely pungent whiskey flavor. The second of the spirits is much more complex and features notes of pepper, clove, char, smoke and sugar.
Generver-Style Gins are Making a Comeback Thanks to Hoatling & Co
1. Revived Genevieve Gin - There is an opportunity for distilleries to craft gins inspired by the crude distillation process of Genevieve Gin, creating a unique and stronger flavor profile blurring the lines between different spirits.
2. Innovative Gin Infusions - Distilleries can experiment with modern techniques to infuse traditional botanicals of gin, exploring flavors combinations and appealing to a wider range of palates.
3. Herbaceous-whiskey Hybrid Spirits - With the rise of Genevieve Gin, there is an opportunity to create other herbaceous spirits with a stronger whiskey profile to appeal to a new generation of drinkers.
1. Distilleries - Distilleries can explore a revival of traditional gin-making techniques to create new and innovative spirits inspired by Genevieve Gin.
2. Craft Cocktail Bars - Craft cocktail bars can create unique and flavor-rich cocktails to appeal to a wider range of customers using Genevieve Gin or inspired by its processes or flavors.
3. Spirits Retail - Retailers can market Genevieve Gin or other similar spirits as a unique and innovative product, appealing to consumers looking for new and distinct flavors in their drinks.