Entrepreneurs in New Delhi, India have found a way to craft fashionable handbags from discarded plastic bags.
In New Delhi, polyethylene bags litter the streets, clog drainpipes and present environmental hazards. Anita and Shaleb Ahuja used their life savings to establish a non-governmental organization called Conserve to solve the problem.
Conserve's employees collect and wash the polyethylene bags and mould them into thicker sheets of plastic. The plastic is then stiched into bright, colorful handbags which are sold at a proft. Conserve now employs 300 people.
1. Upcycled Fashion - Creating fashionable products from discarded materials like plastic bags.
2. Sustainable Entrepreneurship - Establishing businesses that address environmental issues and create economic opportunities.
3. Circular Economy - Transitioning from a linear 'take-make-waste' model to a system that emphasizes recycling and reusing materials.
1. Fashion - Creating sustainable fashion accessories from upcycled materials like plastic bags.
2. Waste Management - Developing innovative solutions for managing and recycling plastic waste.
3. Social Entrepreneurship - Empowering individuals and communities by combining business strategies with social and environmental goals.