In the southern French region of Marseille, the beloved French aniseed aperitif dubbed "pastis" is made with a wide range of botanicals for a rounded, flavorful drink. Guillaume Strebler, owner of a tiny distillery in the backstreets of Marseille called Distillerie de la Plaine, produces two different versions of the aperitif pastis.
The first is a standard blend of aniseed, while the second is more suggestive of Guillaume's artistic expression. He says "It's more herbal and floral. There's still aniseed, fennel, and licorice, but I also use verbena and yerba-mate." The result of this unique blend is a gentle spearmint note. The drink has a chocolaty smoothness and is served at the distillery with a single ice cube.
Image Credit: National Geographic
This French Aniseed Aperitif "Pastis" is from an Old Provençal Term
1. Artisanal Aperitifs - The rise of artisanal aperitifs presents opportunities for small distilleries to experiment with unique blends of botanicals, offering consumers a more personalized and flavorful experience.
2. Botanical Blends - Botanical blends are becoming increasingly popular in the aperitif industry, providing distilleries with an opportunity to differentiate themselves and create unique flavor profiles.
3. Herbal Infusions - Herbal infusions are emerging as a trend in the aperitif industry, providing distilleries with an opportunity to experiment with unique combinations of herbs and spices to create complex and layered flavor profiles.
1. Craft Distillery - Craft distilleries can capitalize on the demand for artisanal aperitifs by experimenting with botanical blends and herbal infusions to create unique and personalized beverages that appeal to discerning consumers.
2. Hospitality - Hospitality businesses, such as restaurants and bars, can offer customers a unique and memorable experience by serving artisanal aperitifs that feature botanical blends and herbal infusions created by local craft distilleries.
3. Specialty Food and Beverage Retail - Specialty food and beverage retailers can capitalize on the trend towards artisanal aperitifs by offering a curated selection of unique and personalized blends created by craft distilleries, providing consumers with a differentiated and flavorful experience.