Barber & Osgerby takes into consideration the contemporary working environment and its future when designing this flexible sofa piece for Vitra. With this chic, minimalist seating arrangement, the London-based studio attempts to give office cultures a break from the traditional desk setup and accommodate the rising popularity of 'hot desking.' This is an office dynamic, where workers are not given their own desk but allocate workspaces based on need and on a rotating basis.
With this definition, it is easy to see where Barber & Osgerby's flexible sofa fits in and what degree of usefulness it has. Through it, the studio "focuses around the working environment versus an environment centered around desks." This promotes creativity and a sense of freedom.
The Flexible Sofa by Barber & Osgerby is Design-Forward
1. Flexible Working Furniture - Flexible furniture pieces like the minimalist seating arrangement by Barber & Osgerby cater to contemporary working environments, promoting creativity and flexibility.
2. Hot Desking - 'Hot desking' is an office dynamic where workers rotate workspaces based on need and is on the rise, increasing the need for adaptable furniture like the flexible sofa by Barber & Osgerby.
3. Design-forward Office Furniture - Designers like Barber & Osgerby aim to create design-forward office furniture pieces that cater to non-traditional working environments, promoting creativity and flexibility.
1. Office Furniture - The office furniture industry can disrupt its traditional approach to desk-centered furniture and shift the focus towards designing flexible furniture pieces that cater to contemporary working environments like the flexible sofa by Barber & Osgerby.
2. Interior Design - Interior designers can innovate and create furniture designs that cater to non-traditional working environments, promoting creativity and flexibility.
3. Architecture - Architects can design office spaces that cater to contemporary working environments like 'hot desking' and incorporate adaptable furniture pieces such as the flexible sofa by Barber & Osgerby.