For those wondering what it would look like to gather together in one room all the information and pictures found on Facebook, the project 'fbFaces' by Joern Roeder and Jonathan Pirnay has the answer. This massive collection of Facebook profile pictures is the foundation of the project. There are 100,000 Facebook profile pictures collected with the purpose to question and explore the immensity of personal data found on the site, and thus the Internet.
This wallpaper symbolizes the role of the social media networks in people's life. The creator explains, "fbFaces is an attempt to visualize the incredible amount of data and images that we are daily overwhelmed by, so that we can neither realize our own selectivity nor consider the amount of data perceived."
fbFaces represents a reflection how these networks are used by subscribers without sometimes understanding or taking into consideration the implications it has on society and on themselves.
'fbFaces' is a Collection of Facebook Profile Pictures
1. Social Media Overwhelm - As our digital footprints continue growing, innovation opportunities exist to help individuals take back control of their personal information while still enjoying social media.
2. Data Visualization - There is an opportunity to create tools that can help people visualize their personal data, allowing them to make more informed decisions and be conscious of their digital footprint.
3. Privacy Protection - With an increasing amount of personal information being shared online, there is a need for innovation in the privacy protection industry to help individuals better protect their personal data.
1. Social Media Platforms - Social media networks have a responsibility to help their users better understand the implications of their personal information being shared online, and innovate tools to help them take control.
2. Data Visualization Tools - The rise of big data means there is ample opportunity for innovation in the data visualization industry, especially as it relates to helping people understand and manage their personal information.
3. Cybersecurity - As data breaches continue to make headlines, innovation in cybersecurity is necessary to help protect people's personal information online.