Marketing is essential for any business to survive including the illegal drug trade. Dealers are placing words and/or images on packages of heroin they sell. â€œThe heroin trade goes by word of mouth,â€ [Pittsburgh police narcotics Cmdr. Maurita] Bryant said. â€œSay there's a user who has a stamp bag with a smiley face on it. The user will start talking about how good the stuff was, and it's almost like free advertising.â€ (PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE) Dealers are constantly competing for the best product and they need to stay ahead of the rest with their stamps otherwise they will get copycats since there's no copyright laws on the streets. However â€œthe relatively low price for a stamp bag and the use of cartoon characters and other familiar images on the bags can make heroin alluring to young people, said Mike Manko, a spokesman for Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr.â€ (PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE)
1. Branded Packaging for Illegal Drugs - Creating unique and recognizable packaging for illegal drugs can help build brand loyalty and generate word-of-mouth advertising.
2. Competition in Illegal Drug Trade - Dealers in the illegal drug trade must constantly stay ahead of the competition to avoid getting copycats and maintain their market share.
3. Targeting Young Consumers in Illegal Drug Market - The use of cartoon characters and familiar images on packaging can make illegal drugs more alluring to young people, presenting a potential target market for drug dealers.
1. Packaging and Branding - This industry can explore opportunities to develop unique packaging solutions for legal products that foster brand loyalty and generate word-of-mouth advertising.
2. Competitive Intelligence - The field of competitive intelligence can help businesses in various industries stay ahead of the competition by monitoring and analyzing market trends.
3. Youth Marketing - Industries such as consumer goods, fashion, and entertainment can explore advertising and branding strategies that appeal to young consumers.