The Hive is an imagined drone docking station that could very well exist in the near future. With Amazon actively testing out its drone delivery system, it's only a matter of time before hordes of these robots are whizzing around town. Of course, all that activity calls for a comfy place to rest.
Designed by Hadeel Ayed Mohammad, Yifeng Zhao and Chengda Zhu, The Hive drone docking station recently won second place eVolo’s annual skyscraper competition. What sets this apart from other home bases is the fact that it would let the drones come and go at varying altitudes, which would alleviate any traffic problems posed by drones moving through a single chute during busy hours.
The Hive is Envisioned as a Futuristic Drone Docking Station
1. Delivery-drone Infrastructure - Creating drone docking stations and infrastructure will be necessary to support the growth of drone delivery systems.
2. Multi-level Drone Landing Pads - Designing multi-level landing pads for drones will alleviate traffic and congestion during busy periods.
3. Modular Drone Stations - Modular designs for drone docking stations will allow for scalability and easy adaptation to different locations.
1. Logistics - The logistics industry can benefit from developing delivery drone infrastructure, creating new revenue streams and reducing costs.
2. Architecture - Architecture firms can explore designs for multi-level drone landing pads and modular drone stations, creating a new subsector of their industry.
3. Technology - Technology companies can develop and implement new software and hardware for drone docking stations, improving the efficiency and safety of drone delivery systems.