Drive-in theaters, those beloved pop culture icons of yesteryear were nearly extinct, but are now making something of a comeback.
Last weekend workers scrambled to ready the new showboat drive-in theater in Hockley, Texas for the grand opening.
The theater is a family affair, co-owned by brothers Chris and John Rumfolo.
"We're the whole crew," John says.
But isn't opening a drive-in theater in this day and age sort of like opening a Typewriters R Us? asks CBS Sunday Morning contributor Bill Geist.
"We're nostalgic. Our whole country is nostalgic," John says, adding that when he applied for a loan, the bank though "I was nuts."
1. Resurgence of Drive-in Theaters - Opportunity for innovation in incorporating technology and modern amenities into the classic drive-in theater experience.
2. Nostalgia-based Entertainment - Opportunity for creating new entertainment concepts that tap into the current trend of nostalgia, similar to the drive-in theater comeback.
3. Outdoor Entertainment - Opportunity for innovation in creating new outdoor entertainment venues and experiences, such as drive-in concerts or outdoor movie screenings.
1. Entertainment - Incorporating modern technology into nostalgic entertainment experiences to attract new generations of customers.
2. Hospitality - Opportunities for hotels and resorts to create unique outdoor entertainment experiences using nostalgia and modern amenities, such as drive-in theaters or outdoor concerts.
3. Automotive - Opportunity for automotive brands to rebrand themselves as the perfect vehicle for the drive-in theater experience and other outdoor entertainment events.