Dr. Martens UK Factory is home to one of the most iconic shoes of the last few decades and Highsnobiety had the chance to step inside the Northamptonshire facility. The boots made a comeback in the late 2000s, appearing on the feet of street fashion aficionados, but it first started out as a blue-collar boot for the working class. In the 70s the shoes were morphed from worker boots to a subculture must-have and nearly every decade after Dr. Martens transformed with the changing youth-culture.
The factory retells the history of the shoes. The street its situated on, Cobbs Lane, is a direct reference to cobblers. Once inside, there's an English flag hung up to represent the roots of the company. Vintage boots, with some definite wear and tear, are sat upon platforms. Aged posters of movies and old photos are placed around the factory to visually describe how the shoes became popularized. Highsnobiety's inside look of the historical Dr. Martens UK Factory shows how a brand can go from mundane to a coveted style symbol.
Dr. Martens' UK Factory Captures its History Through Photos and Posters
1. Heritage-inspired Manufacturing - Manufacturing companies can preserve their brand heritage by incorporating vintage items and historical references into their facilities and products.
2. Cultural Icon Resurgence - Brands can successfully reintroduce iconic products to new generations by tapping into cultural nostalgia and capitalizing on current trends.
3. Brand Storytelling Through Visuals - Companies can effectively communicate their brand's history and journey by incorporating vintage photos and posters into their production facilities and marketing materials.
1. Footwear Manufacturing - Footwear companies can leverage their brand heritage to appeal to consumers looking for unique and culturally significant styles.
2. Manufacturing - Manufacturing companies across various industries can differentiate themselves by highlighting their brand's history and incorporating vintage elements into their facilities.
3. Marketing and Advertising - Marketing and advertising agencies can help brands tell their stories through visual storytelling, incorporating vintage images and posters into their campaigns.