A whipped dessert frosting can be the most satisfying finishing touch to put on top of a baked confection, but slathering a sugar-laden spread over cakes, brownies and cupcakes that are already sugary themselves is hardly healthy.
At this year's Winter Fancy Food Show, Simple Mills unveiled a healthier way for those with a sweet tooth to indulge using its all-new organic Vanilla and Chocolate frostings. These frostings are made with just eight simple ingredients, including sustainably sourced palm shortening, coconut oil and natural sweeteners like monk fruit extract, which comes from a subtropical melon. With this simple ingredient swap, Simple Mills' choice of sweetener provides "half the sugar and carbohydrates than leading frosting brands."
While frosting is an item that can easily be found on the shelves of supermarket stores, consumers are now looking for better-for-you options that boast clean ingredient lists with a focus on natural sourcing and sweeteners.
Simple Mills' Healthy Dessert Frosting is Enriched with Coconut Oil
1. Clean Ingredient Frostings - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop clean ingredient frostings with natural sweeteners and sustainable sourcing to cater to health-conscious consumers.
2. Low-sugar Frostings - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create low-sugar frostings with alternative sweeteners to meet the demand for healthier dessert options.
3. Sustainable Dessert Ingredients - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore sustainable dessert ingredients like coconut oil and palm shortening to align with the growing consumer preference for eco-friendly products.
1. Health Food Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Innovate within the health food industry by developing organic, low-sugar dessert options to cater to health-conscious consumers.
2. Bakery Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Tap into the bakery industry by offering clean ingredient frostings that can be sold to bakeries and used in their dessert creations.
3. Natural Sweetener Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Capitalize on the demand for natural sweeteners by developing and supplying alternative sweeteners to food manufacturers and dessert-related businesses.