Oregon's prison system in the US is turning to computer games to help rehabilitate felons. Inmates who have a clean disciplinary record for 18 months are being given a chance to buy a small handheld game console.
The gadget has 50 simple games onboard that can be played through small TVs fixed in cells.
The Oregon state prison system said the gadgets also help to stem some of the trouble incarceration often provokes.
1. Gamification in Rehabilitation - Implementing computer games as a tool for inmate rehabilitation and behavior modification in prisons.
2. Technology as a Rehabilitative Medium - Using handheld game consoles as a means to engage and educate inmates while promoting positive behavior change.
3. Inmate Access to Entertainment - Providing incarcerated individuals with access to video games and other forms of entertainment for self-expression and stress relief.
1. Prison System - Integrating technology and gamification into prison systems to enhance rehabilitation programs and reduce recidivism rates.
2. Gaming Industry - Developing and adapting video games specifically for the rehabilitation of inmates, creating a new niche market.
3. Entertainment Technology - Exploring the potential for handheld game consoles and similar devices in correctional facilities, catering to the needs of incarcerated individuals.