Located in the heart of a Rio de Janeiro slum, this community football field is powered by its players.
The kinetic energy-powered stadium is the result of a collaboration between Pelé and Shell Oil. Shell's Make the Future initiative is seeking for ideas that can change the world, especially ones addressing big issues like energy, growing population rates and urbanization.
The first of its kind, the community football field is intended for Morro de Mineira. Shell refurbished the innovative sports center using 200 underground high-tech tiles that harness the players' kinetic energy. The kinetic energy is combined with solar-generated energy to power and light the stadium. The safely lit pitch provides a community space for local inhabitants and an excellent example of how eco-friendly energy can be used even in Brazil.
This Brazilian Community Football Field is Powered by Kinetic Energy
1. Kinetic-energy Sports Stadiums - There is a disruptive innovation opportunity to create more sports stadiums powered by kinetic energy and reduce the carbon footprint of such venues.
2. Community-driven Energy Generation - There is an opportunity to employ the crowd power to generate green energy that can cater to the energy needs of community projects like sports facilities, reducing power costs, and environmental impact.
3. Integrated Green Energy Solutions - There is an opportunity to explore ways to combine kinetic and solar energy-generation solutions to power more infrastructure projects in urban areas, offset carbon emissions and promote cleaner energy consumption.
1. Sports and Entertainment Industry - There is a disruptive innovation opportunity for the Sports and Entertainment Industry to leverage kinetic energy solutions and other eco-friendly technologies to power stadiums and create sustainable operations.
2. Energy and Utilities Industry - There is an opportunity for the Energy and Utilities Industry to explore more eco-friendly energy solutions and promote clean energy generation using kinetic and crowd power approaches.
3. Urban Planning and Construction Industry - There is an opportunity for the Urban Planning and Construction Industry to integrate green energy solutions like kinetic and solar technologies in public and private infrastructure projects, promoting sustainable urbanization.