As far as world history is concerned, the siren's song of capitalism has won out over the other-centered blight of communism, and a newly announced project from Dutch studio MVRDV gracefully depicts that changing socioeconomic landscape. The building was originally constructed as a communist monument, but it is being repurposed as a public center praising one of the modern highlights of capitalism: technology.
To be sure, the design of the original building, which is in Tirania, Albania, remains interesting by today's aesthetic standards. It is a fascinating take on a pyramid, with unevenly spaced platforms that lead up to the apex. The MVRDV redesign makes use of these platforms, turning them into tremendous staircases that rise all around the building.
Image Credit: MVRDV
MVRDV is Converting a Former Communist Monument in a Public Facility
1. Communist Monument Repurposing - Repurposing communist monuments into modern public spaces.
2. Technology Center Design - Innovative designs for technology centers creating interactive experiences for visitors.
3. Capitalism-inspired Architecture - Integrating design elements inspired by capitalism in new architecture projects.
1. Architecture - Architects can explore creative ways to repurpose former communist monuments into modern public spaces.
2. Tourism - Tourism industry can benefit from new interactive technology centers that offer unique experiences for visitors.
3. Real Estate Development - Real estate developers can incorporate elements inspired by capitalism in new architecture projects.