Chick Boss is an ethical jewelry line that helps create employment opportunities for female artisans living in the rainforest in Guatemala.
The social jewelry line, which also has offices in California and Hawaii, was launched by Pat Pannell after a Spanish immersion program in 2011 led her to San Andres, Guatemala. She formed close relationships with the locals and began noticing how many children were unable to go to school because their families could not afford school supplies and uniforms. Chick Boss was born as a result of Pat's infuriation and her overwhelming urge to do something to help.
"We insist on paying what we feel to be a 'living wage' (almost 3 times the required minimum and much more than "Free Trade")," she says on ChickBoss.com. "Our workers also receive health insurance, paid vacations, plus social security and unemployment benefits."
"The 'ladies' as we call them, all work from home which allows them to spend time with their children. The young adults work in our shop as metal smiths and finish workers."
The Chick Boss jewelry line includes necklaces made with natural stones and metals, those made with fiber optic glass, and mixed metal necklace and earring sets.
Chick Boss website
Chick Boss on Facebook
Chick Boss on Twitter
Chick Boss Jewelry Creates Employment Opportunities for Women in Guatemala
1. Ethical Jewelry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Utilizing sustainable materials and ethical production practices to create jewelry that meets the growing demand for ethical and sustainable consumer goods.
2. Social Entrepreneurship - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing business models that create employment opportunities for marginalized communities and prioritize fair wages and benefits for workers.
3. Home-based Work - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Leveraging the benefits of home-based work to provide flexible employment opportunities, particularly for parents who want to spend more time with their children while earning an income.
1. Jewelry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrating sustainable and ethical practices into the jewelry industry to meet the increasing consumer demand for responsible and conscious jewelry products.
2. Fashion - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporating social entrepreneurship principles in the fashion industry by supporting marginalized communities and offering fair employment opportunities.
3. Handcrafted Goods - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Revolutionizing the handcrafted goods industry by establishing fair trade practices, empowering artisans, and promoting sustainable production methods.