The iPads are variants of student housing but make good use of limited space with sleek modern fittings in kitchens and bathrooms. Good proportions are the key to attractive living space and the iPads largely avoid the cramped feeling that could easily come with a tiny floor space. The â€œBarratt iPadâ€ is just 380 sq ft â€” 25 per cent smaller than an average 500 sq ft one-bedroom flat, but larger than a studio apartment.
The one-bedroom version, which includes a small lounge, dining area, fully fitted kitchen, double bedroom, fully fitted bathroom and balcony, will sell for between £80,000 and £120,000. This is below the new £125,000 threshold at which buyers must pay stamp duty.
Barratt has spent 18 months developing the concept and has already pre-sold its first 30 iPad homes in Middlesbrough.
380 Square Foot Student Housing
1. Sleek Modern Fittings - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop and market innovative space-saving furniture and appliances for small living spaces like the iPads.
2. Compact Living Spaces - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Design and build affordable, compact housing units with efficient use of space to meet the growing demand for affordable housing.
3. Pre-selling Homes - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create online platforms or apps that streamline the pre-selling process for real estate developers, making it more efficient and convenient for buyers.
1. Furniture and Appliance - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Innovate and produce space-saving and multi-functional furniture and appliances specifically designed for compact living spaces.
2. Real Estate Development - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop new construction methods and materials that allow for the construction of affordable, compact housing units without compromising quality.
3. Real Estate Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop digital platforms or apps that streamline the pre-selling process for real estate developers, making it more efficient and convenient for buyers.