Avant Car Guard are a Johannesburg-based visual art collective who exhibit as a singular artist. Avant Car Guard is made up of Zander Blom, Jan-Henri Booyens and Michael MacGarry. If three guys exhibiting as one artist and the name ‘Avant Car Guard’ weren’t bizarre enough, their work is multidisciplinary and encompasses photography, sculpture, performance, multiples, video, installation and painting.
Avant Car Guard have produced three publications on their work: Volume I, Volume II and Volume III and have enjoyed success both at home in South Africa and internationally. Their production is based on a conceptual, self-reflexive and satirical approach to the art world, it's markets, practitioners as well as the creative process itself.
Avant Car Guard Question the Art World With Bizarre Results
1. Multidisciplinary Art - Exploring art forms beyond traditional boundaries, there is an opportunity for disruptive innovation in creating unique and boundary-pushing art experiences.
2. Conceptual Art - Challenging traditional art norms and pushing conceptual boundaries can create disruption and spark new ideas in the art world.
3. Satirical Art - Using satire as a tool in art can disrupt established trends and challenge societal norms, opening up opportunities for innovative and thought-provoking creations.
1. Visual Arts - By embracing new art forms and techniques, the visual arts industry can foster disruption and innovation.
2. Publishing - The publishing industry can benefit from disruptive innovation by exploring unconventional and experimental approaches to publishing art-related content.
3. Art Market - Embracing alternative and non-traditional art forms can potentially reshape and disrupt the art market, creating new opportunities and trends.