Fiat Chrysler Automobiles will collaborate with AutoX in order to create an autonomous taxi service for Chinese markets. The partnership was officially announced after much speculation. Currently, China provides an interesting climate for launching an autonomous taxi service, due to the fact that autonomous vehicles have been allowed on public roads for a number of years now. However, a number of different organizations are already competing in the region.
It was also announced that as part of the partnership, the AutoX AI driving system will be used in Chrysler Pacifica vehicles. The two organizations will work toward sharing autonomous taxis operational in Shenzhen and Shanghai mid-way through 2020. AutoX released a statement about how its system is tailored to be used in China, "The AutoX Driver has adopted local driving styles in China to navigate in complex and dynamic urban conditions."
Image Credit: AutoX
Fiat Chrysler Will Work with AutoX on Robot Taxis for 2020
1. Autonomous Taxi Services in China - Opportunity for the development of autonomous taxi services in China due to the permissibility of autonomous vehicles on public roads.
2. Partnerships Between Automakers and Tech Companies - Disruptive innovation opportunity for automakers to collaborate with tech companies to develop autonomous driving technologies.
3. Localization of AI Driving Systems - Opportunity for AI driving systems to adapt to local driving styles and conditions, as seen in AutoX's system tailored for China.
1. Automotive - Opportunity for automakers to enter the autonomous taxi market through partnerships and the development of autonomous vehicles.
2. Technology - Opportunity for tech companies to collaborate with automakers in developing AI driving systems and other technologies for autonomous taxi services.
3. Transportation - Opportunity for the transportation industry to integrate autonomous taxi services into their offerings, providing a new mode of transportation for customers.