While I honestly admit that I cannot began to get my head around what this is, it is definitely fascinating. Algorithmic Architecture is as beautiful as it is baffling, (at least in my eyes.)
The process “uses computers to generate natural looking aperiodic forms that are a revolutionary alternative to the extreme crystalline regularity of what has up to now been considered modern.”
This particular algorithmic process derives from the Lindenmayer System, which was originally used as a theory for plant growth.
In case you want a scientific explanation of the process, I will allow this excerpt from Michael Hansmeyer’s website to describe it.
"In a variation of the previous example, each letter can be mapped not to a single object but to an entire array of objects. Two generations of string can be mapped to the two axes of a field and affect all objects that share one data point along an axis. For instance, if letter C were located at X=3, then all objects with an X-coordinate of 3 would share the attribute value assigned to C.”
The pictures above indicate what is considered to be the cutting edge of architectural design. Enjoy!
1. Algorithmic Architecture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Implementing algorithmic architecture to create unique and natural-looking building forms that challenge traditional designs.
2. Aperiodic Forms - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Exploring the use of aperiodic forms as an alternative to the regularity of modern architecture, offering new possibilities for creative and unconventional building designs.
3. Lindenmayer System - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Applying the principles of the Lindenmayer System, originally used for plant growth, to architectural design for innovative and organic building structures.
1. Architecture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporating algorithmic architecture and aperiodic forms into the field of architecture to revolutionize building designs and push the boundaries of traditional construction.
2. Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing advanced computer algorithms and software to enable the generation of intricate and natural-looking architectural forms, introducing new possibilities for the technology industry.
3. Art and Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Blending the realms of art and design with algorithmic architecture, creating visually stunning and conceptually intriguing building forms, and pushing the boundaries of creativity in the art and design industries.